Rev. Granderson Jones Jr., Pastor
700 Old Post Rd. Aberdeen MD 21001
Union United Methodist Church
700 Old Post Rd
P.O. Box 809
Aberdeen MD 21001
Rev. Granderson Jones, Jr.
Union United Methodist Church is a historical African American congregation with a proud heritage. We are a church driven by the Holy Spirit, trusting God, and in love with Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
"Our mission is to spread the Word of God in our community and the world, transforming lives and making disciples for Jesus Christ."
Join us as we continue to worship God our Sustainer, give praise and thanksgiving to Christ our Savior, and follow the leading of the Holy Spirit.
Worship Time - Sundays @ 11:a.m.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever
things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there
be any praise, think on these things.
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
" But when He, the Spirit of Truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth [full and complete truth]. For He will not speak on His own initiative, but He will speak whatever He hears [from the Father—the message regarding the Son], and He will disclose to you what is to come [in the future]. He will glorify and honor Me, because He (the Holy Spirit) will take from what is Mine and will disclose it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Because of this I said that He [the Spirit] will take from what is Mine and will reveal it to you."
"PUT ON THE FULL ARMOR OF GOD, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the BELT OF TRUTH buckled around your waist, with the BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the GOSPEL OF PEACE. In addition to all this, take up the SHIELD OF FAITH, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the HELMET OF SALVATION and the SWORD OF THE SPIRIT, which is the word of God." (Eph 6:13-18 NIV)
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that need not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
[ NOTE: THE FOLLOWING LESSON CAME FROM SUSAN-CHEBAR. WHETHER YOU HAVE ALL THE GIFTS OR NONE OF THE GIFTS, YOU STILL NEED TO BE OBEYING MARK 16:17, AND CAST DEMONS OUT, IN THE NAME OF JESUS. The devil also allows FALSE gifts to operate through Christians. We always cast out FALSE GIFTS from everyone who comes to us for Deliverance.]
I CORINTHIANS 12:4-11:
4. Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
7. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9. To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10. To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another diverse kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11. But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit; dividing to every man severally as He will.
The gifts are imparted at the time of need for ministry purposes, not for personal use. The specific gift is given for the type of ministry needed at the time. For example, the gift of healing would not be needed when one is prophesying.
Ask the Holy Spirit BEFORE you begin to minister, as He will give several for the work to be completed. For example, physical healing could involve discerning of spirits, word of knowledge, healing and word of wisdom.
Remember, gifts are the power of the Spirit of God working through you. God, and only God, should receive the glory!
Note that Jesus operated in all gifts at all times, as He had the fullness of the Spirit.
WORD OF KNOWLEDGE:
Knowing beyond natural abilities. Note Peter's response to Jesus' question, and then Jesus' reply to Peter:
13. When Jesus came into the coasts to Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
14. And they said, Some say that Thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16. And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but My father which is in Heaven.
Also, in Revelation 2:3, the Spirit is saying to the churches, "I KNOW your works."
WORD OF WISDOM:
Supernatural ability to give situational solutions, counsel, direction for steps that God wants taken in an individual's life.
Book of Proverbs.
Words of Solomon.
Paul's instruction to the Church.
Spiritual boldness; to step out and act on the unseen, with no thought of natural abilities involved.
GIFTS OF HEALING:
Various methods by which the Spirit of God restores the physical and mental functions of the body.
Miracles of Jesus.
Acts of the apostles.
Speaking a word from the Lord into a vessel; perceiving the secrets of the heart of man.
I CORINTHIANS 14:25:
And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.
DIVERS KINDS OF TONGUES:
Speaking in unknown languages; several kinds of tongues. Tongues are understood only by the Spirit of God and whomsoever He wills to interpret.
I Corinthians 14.
INTERPRETATION OF TONGUES:
Inner knowledge of Spiritual language. Understanding to be given at the time of the speaking in tongues. Edifies the speaker and the hearers.
I Corinthians 14.
WORKING OF MIRACLES:
Supernatural manifestation over the natural; to be seen, visible.
Acts of Moses.
Acts of Jesus.
Acts of the apostles.
DISCERNING OF SPIRITS:
Ability to know from what spiritual realm a person is operating in; whether the kingdom of darkness, or the Kingdom of Light. As the gift is exercised more, one will be able to identify which spirit is the "root".
Kingdom of darkness: Kingdom of Light:
Spirit of fear. Fruits of the Holy Spirit.
Spirit of infirmity . Spirit of truth.
Lying spirit. Spirit of prophecy.
Spirit of antichrist. etc. etc.
I CORINTHIANS 12:27-31:
27. Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
28. And God hath set some in the Church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healing, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
29. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30. Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak in tongues? do all interpret?
31. But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet I show unto you a more excellent way.
Administrative gifts are given to minister to the Church body and for the functioning of the Church. NOT FOR THE LOST!
See I Corinthians 14 for references.
EIGHT ADMINISTRATIVE WORKS
Oversee a body of believers to establish order, instruct in operations.
Perceives and proclaims to the Church what God wants to reveal and begin.
Expound on and apply the written Word for meat and growth.
The manifestation of the needs of the saints being met, deliverance from demons. Miracles are for the purpose of encouraging those who believe.
GIFTS OF HEALING:
Restoration of the body and soul of the Church.
Aids in all operations of the Church, wherever needed.
Ministers practical matters of Church operations.
Intercessors, warfare, prayer.
11. And He gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12. For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13. Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.
Offices are elected by Jesus, God appointed. STERN WARNING: They are not to be prayed for or sought after. Offices have a tri-functional purpose. See verses 12 and 13 above:
1. For the perfecting of the saints.
2. For the work of the ministry.
3. For the edifying of the body of Christ.
Offices are not involved in administrative operations, although do walk in Spiritual gifts as any other saint. the purpose of offices is unity and getting the Bride ready for Jesus' return.
If you have been called by the Lord to an office, you will know that you have been set apart and the Spirit of God will confirm it through another.
FIVE FOLD MINISTRY OFFICES
Note on apostles and prophets:
Unto these two offices, the secret or hidden things of God are revealed.
3. How that by revelation He made known unto me (apostle Paul) the mystery; (as I wrote before in few words,
4. Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
5. Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto His holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit.
INFORMATION ON THE FIVE FOLD MINISTERS:
To let the Church Body know when these "strange creatures" are in their midst.
Sees the Church as, "the Body". Desires to establish Church order and make sure all members are functioning in harmony; one accord. Is compassionate and exhorts; like a loving father.
Sees the Church as "vessels". Perceives and proclaims the word of the Lord; walks and speaks only the Word. Things are seen as "black or white", with absolutely no gray areas.
Sees the Church as souls. Sent forth with the good news of the gospel: the love of Jesus and the severity of Hell. Is enthusiastic about the harvest, and is perplexed when others aren't. Sends the Church forth to reach the lost, with compassion, joy and urgency. Soaks in the Word for the purpose of restoring souls.
Sees the Church as sheep, flock, or the fold. Protects, feeds, guides and is safety for the flock. Also sets the Spiritual climate for the Body that he is shepherd over. For example, if the pastor does not believe that healing is for today, his flock will be defeated by disease, etc.
Sees the Church as disciples - students, one's who need to be taught the meat of the Word. Turns logos into rhema. Has the ability to expound on the Word, and to illuminate it in a way that easily reveals truth to the Church. Also, relates the Word to practical matters, easy to assimilate for life.
Note: Jesus walked in all offices at all times, in the fullness of the Spirit.
5. So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
6. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
7. Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering; or he that teacheth, on teaching;
8. Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation; he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.
Service gifts, as with all other gifts, are given by God through His Holy Spirit. Gifts are the grace (power) of God to serve and not a flesh effort. Service gifts "well up" from the spirit man, and manifest when and where the holy Spirit wills. All service is accomplished by prayer, patience, endurance and a humble spirit. Love and unity must be the motivation of operation in gifts.
9. Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
10. Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honor preferring one another;
11. Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
12. Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
13. Distributing to the necessity of the saints; given to hospitality.
16. Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
SEVEN SERVICE GIFTS
Faith to speak and reveal the word of the Lord; for the purpose of instruction, direction, and speaking the will of God onto the earth.
Meeting need. Love to broken, healing to sick, salvation to lost, joy to those that mourn, deliverance to oppressed, etc.
Expounding on the written Word, logos into rhema. Teaching to apply Word to life and Godliness.
One who motivates, urges, warns, encourages in Spiritual matters.
Liberal supplier of material and physical needs.
One who leads with authority; steadfast, not swaying.
MERCY: Compassionate and cheerful, mediator; goal is a happy ending.
SIGNS AND WONDERS
The list of supernatural occurrences, signs and wonders, are throughout the entire Bible. They are seen and unseen manifestations that will continue to occur with greater intensity until the return of our Lord.
DO NOT SEEK TO FOLLOW SIGNS AND WONDERS!
They will follow you. See Mark 16:17,20; Mark 13:22; etc. Satan will pervert and supply lying signs and wonders for those who seek after them. Search the Word, as examples are too numerous to list. They are also hard to describe, as some are in Spirit only, not natural, and cannot be described